Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Different Point of View


Sometimes, another person's point of view speaks more volume than my own voice possibly could. This was written by my best friend and I think it offers a glimpse into the theme of my week. 


She was in pain.
She was always in pain.
She tried the steps of healing.
Pouting until people ran out of pity.
Then smiling when they got tired of listening.
Praying when it was clear no one understood.

And when prayers take too long to be answered,
self-control begins to leak from the trembling
hands she holds pressed to her chest,
fingertips pointing straight up to the heavens
like the hair down a dog's spine when they sense
a threat nearby. Because she didn't know where
her prayers were drifting off to, or if they're even
lifting, reaching skywards in pursuit of God
in the moments each leaves her lips.
She's still left hurting.

So she breaks through the steps of coping
and opens the liquor cabinet each night when
she thinks everyone else is asleep. But I'm not.
I'm there watching and watching and watching
and watching and watching, not understanding
why my prayers haven't been answered either.

Written by: Alexa Bolton

No comments:

Post a Comment